What is Effective Microorganism (EM-1)?
Effective Microorganism (EM-1) is a microbial inoculant that uses beneficial microbes to promote soil and plant health.
Microbial Inoculant. These are biologically active products containing an optimum amount of population of one or a combination of active strains of beneficial bacteria, algae or fungi that are useful in different biological activities such as decomposition or organic residues, nitrogen fixation and enhancement of nutrient availability to plants.
EM Activated Solution (EMAS)
- Extended form of EM-1
- Use the same way as EM-1
- Cheaper compared to EM-1
- Mixed in the drinking water of farm animals and for watering plants to improve their immune system
- Also used as a spray to farm animals to remove the foul odor.
- Source of beneficial microorganisms used for making organic fertilizers faster, better potency and no fould odor
Materials for Making EMAS
- EM-1 (Genuine)
- Molasses (Clean and uncontaminated)
- Non-Chlorinated water
- Plastic container with cap
- EM-1 – 5%
- Molasses – 5%
- Non-chlorinated water – 90%
- For 1 liter: 900 ml water, 50ml molasses, and 50ml EM-1
Fermantion is 7 days.
- Place container in a cool and shaded area.
- Loosen cap everyday to release gas formed inside the container during the fermentation period.
Points to consider
- Good quality and properly fermented EMAS has a sweet and sour smell and light brown color
- The shelf life of EMAS is one (1) month
- EMAS can still be diluted with water to maximize usage and consumption
- Diluted EMAS is good for one (1) day only
- Dilute 1 tablesppon of EMAS with 1 liter of non-chlorinated water.
- Spray or water to plants once or twice a week in the morning or in the afternoon
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of EMAS with 1 liter of non-chlorinated water.
- Spray inside and outside the pen once or twice a week to remove foul odoor
- It can also be used for bathing farm animals like pigs to remove the foul odor.
- It can also be used as drinking water to prevent illnesses.